Wednesday, 25 January 2017

I give you the GTK2 Studio......

Yet again, it's been far too long since I last posted - taking my eye off the ball will affect things if I'm not too careful!!! I have, therefore, decided that I must try and get a lot more on this here bloggy thing more regularly.

A series of events, not so long back, forced a double house move (twice in 8 weeks), I also had a very unexpected change of day job (also twice in 8 weeks) and a whole host of other things going on that aren't really relevant for the porpoises of this posting. In amongst that was the dismantling of my beloved GTK Studio, literally just as I had got fashioned in such a way that I was happy with it. Sod's law. But on the plus side, all these events have led to a better place for my fab woman (the lovely Anne) and I on so many levels, not least the creation of a new studio in our new little home.

So, without further ado, back to the title of this latest warbling - my new studio:


The new GTK2 Studio is my own personal little composing/producing/mixing/recording space, it's a bit of a pseudo-1970's nightmare, you can't swing a cat in there and it's very small, but it's really rather nice acoustically, courtesy of 5 rag rugs hung on the walls. It's totally unsuitable for any kind of band work, you can't swing a cat in there, so it's what I believe you would call a "project studio".

I am now totally "in the box", in that I am only using software and very little in the way of hardware, other than a small collection of MIDI controllers. The studio is very small small (box room off our bedroom - handy for staggering through to bed after a late night session, I know, I've tried it!!!), but it's compactness makes it comfortable, warm and a relaxing environment to work in and I'm already very much at home in it.

The completion of the "Interpretations" album was done here and it was a really enjoyable experience, despite the room being in utter chaos and the studio incomplete. I am now eagerly looking forward to starting on a new album of music, which will be called "Altered States" and working on the second F/R-F album "Autumn's Breeze" with my son, Callum Raeburn-Fellowes. Talking of "Interpretations", it's now available to buy on Bandcamp, here's the link to it:


The new GTK2 Studio (imaginative name huh?) has a whole host of new software and hardware gubbings, including new synths from Arturia, Air Music Technology, Sonivox, Rob PapenSoftube and Audjoo, as well as effects from the likes of Waves Audio, eARECKON, ArtsAcoustica, iZotope and PSP Audioware. On the hardware front, the GTK2 Studio has seen the addition of an Alesis Q88 (an 88-note MIDI keyboard controller that's just perfect for playing the Arturia Piano V properly!!!) as well as a Mk 1 Novation ReMOTE 61 SL MIDI keyboard controller (you might recall I had one of these before - should never have sold it, hence it's reintroduction into the studio!!!). The computer upgrade from early 2016 has proven to be money and time well spent, as has the addition of a second monitor screen and the fabulous Evolution UC-33e MIDI control surface (old tech that's still incredibly good, particularly in tandem with the Novation ReMOTE 61 SL). I've also increased the GTK2 Studio's sample loop library with some wonderfully crunchy glitchy rhythms from those dashed brilliant Samplephonics folk - predominantly downtempo/ambient stuff, but hey, that's what I do!!! I have a full list of hardware and software I use on my personal website, which you can find on the following links - if you are so inclined :-) :

GTK2 Studio Hardware

GTK2 Studio Software

I'm intending to do a blog entry on the new software in the coming weeks, and there's quite a bit to get through - all these fab software houses keep having yummy sales!!!

On the cards for 2017 Spectrasonic's Trilian bass module (both priorities) as well as an upgrade (finally) to Omnisphere 2 and it would be nice to get the latest Komplete 11 from Native Instruments.

I had been pondering the purchase of some hardware synths, but I feel there is a certain reality that I will not do any more live stuff for now, plus I really am tight on space within the studio. I recently attended the fabulous SynthFest in Sheffield, whereupon I was shamelessly seduced by the presence of Korg's amazing reproduction of the classic ARP Odyssey synthesizer, their Volca range and their MS-20 Mini synthesizer, all of which would be simply wonderful to have, but alas, I don't have the space for them and being as I have each instrument (as such) in software form, I'm just not certain that they would get used as much as they should be - remember the first GTK Studio a few years back? Yes, and look what happened there!!! No, as things are at the moment, I think it's software all the way for now. In terms of computer hardware, I will probably need to upgrade the SSD to a much higher storage capacity - currently using a 120GB drive and it's not enough, so as soon as I can, it will be a 480GB drive, minimum. And that of course means I will have to reinstall everything again - actually one of my most favourite things to do - I get in the snacks and drinks, so much so, it's like a day out!!!

So, that's it for the moment. I'll start doing some bloggy things about the software and hardware over the next few weeks. Much to enthuse over!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)