Friday, 28 April 2017

Bits and bobs, this and that......

Work and other commitments have really taken away my focus from the music AND the photography, however, I am currently approaching a week in of a two week annual leave stint from the "day job" and hopefully, I will be getting things a bit more "back on line" as it were.

So, today I have set up three photo sessions for the middle and end of next week with some very interesting people.

First off will be a visit to my chum Kent Spong, a man who is as solid and as down-to-earth as they come and at the same time, is a leading synthesizer technician with a client list and base of friends that read like a veritable who's who of the recording and film music industries!!! I always look forward to a visit to Kent's house just outside London, the tea and coffee flows, the supply of biscuits always seem endless and the conversation is rich beyond imagination. This is a man who has classic synthesizers with some seriously heady price tags sitting in his toilet. Yes. His toilet. His toilet is famous for the amount of vintage synthesizers it has stacked up in it.

Following the visit to see Kent, I shall be heading westwards to Windsor where I shall be catching up with another synthy cool dude who goes by the name of Tim Dorney. He plays keyboards for Republica and has a rather toothsome collection of synths and the like. I look forward to visiting Tim as he is much like Kent when it comes to the synth chat, and he has already indicated that the kettle will on. Good start ;-)

The end of week will see me heading westwards once again (living in East Anglia, I suppose I shall always be heading westwards - unless I go to North Norfolk of course. Then I'll be heading northwards. I digress) to the East Midlands to meet leading experimental electronic music artist, Robin Rimbaud, aka Scanner. I am quite delighted, and not a little excited, that Robin has been kind enough to make time for me to visit as he is an exceptionally busy individual, with a diary that seems to take him around the globe.

This of course means that there will be pictures.

Lots of pictures.

I'm also hoping that the weather will show some signs of continued improvement as I would really like to get out and about with the Canon and do some exploring. It's been far too long. I have a couple of places in mind and with a bit of luck and a fair wind, I'll get to photograph them. Watch this space ;-)

On the music front, I have been using time this week to explore some of the amazing new software that I've been gathering over the last few months as well as a couple of bits of new(ish) equipment I've bought recently.

It's been quite fun playing around with my Korg MS-20ic MIDI controller (hooked up to their Legacy Collection software) again. I recently availed myself of a new set of short leads for the patchbay and I'm really glad I did. As it had been so long since I last messed abut with this cool little bit of kit, I decided to work my way through the totally brilliant video tutorials made by American synthesist Marc Doty (who I had the pleasure of meeting last year in Sheffield at SynthFest). I was more than a little pleased that what my software was creating was near perfect to the hardware MS-20 used by Marc on his videos. I've also had my little Korg Monotrons (Monotron, Monotron Duo and Monotron Delay) out as well - feeding them through ValhallaDSP's Shimmer reverb, Illformed's Glitch2 and the now defunct Camel Audio's CamelSpace. I had a great evening creating some seriously cool (but at times very screechy) sounds. Not really sure that my beloved Anne thought the same thing...... I've also been enjoying reprogramming my MIDI controllers (Evolution UC-33e control surface, Akai LPD8 pad controller and Novation ReMOTE 61 SL keyboard) to get the best I can out of them - these gadgets make life so much easier and definitely improve workflow. 

On the hardware front, I now have a rather intriguing piece of kit from M-Audio called Trigger Finger Pro. It's essentially a MIDI controller for percussion software, however, it also has an onboard sequencer that can control both software and hardware synthesizers/drum machines. It also has lots of really cool blinky lights that you can change the colour of. What's not to like!!! I'm going to see how I get on with it over the weekend as it was something of an impulse buy from evilBay, mainly so that I might program drum machine software using a system that's not unlike the old Roland drum machines. As a side note, I tried to create a programming interface on my Hudl Android tablet using a really fab app called TouchOSC - I got so far with it, but sadly my aging brain simply couldn't around it all, that said, I did create a nice little interface for Reaper that can use when recording vocals or any of the little bits of hardware I still have left. If the Trigger Finger Pro doesn't work out, then I'll sell it on and try the Arturia Beatstep Pro - similar item but I think it might be a little more flexible in terms of connectivity and it's certainly smaller. When the postie arrived today, I nearly fell over because the Trigger Finger Pro was a whole lot bigger than I expected. You've seen this studio, space is not something I have plenty of!!!

Software-wise, things have slowed down. A bit. Not much. But still noticeably slowed down. Waves have had another of their rather fab silly-daft sales this month which has proven to be a bit of a bonus as I managed to snaffle their MaxxVolume plugin - very useful for vocals, synths and rhythm loops I have already found. I've added Xfer Records's Serum wavetable synthesizer and KV331 Audio's SynthMaster One wavetable synthesizer - both of which are VERY cool pieces of programming. I've taken advantage of the new idea of subscription-based software packages from Softube and Roland. The Volume One package from Softube offers a pretty comprehensive set of tools including compressors, EQ's, amplifier simulations, synths (Modular - it's based on the EuroRack modules from Doepfer and has optional modules from leading manufacturer Intellijel) and drum machines (it's called Heartbeat and it is FAB!!!) - I'm impressed and look forward to using much this stuff on my projects. The Roland package is called Roland Cloud and features software versions of their classic synths - and let me tell you, they are quite simply astounding - Jupiter 8, Promars, SH-2, SH-101, Juno-106 and System 100 are the classic synths and they are worth every penny. You also get software versions of their latest Aira synths, the System-1 and System-8 - very modern and sounding great. I picked up something by the name of Outer Space - it's a very nice sounding software emulation of the Roland RE-210 Space Echo from a company called AudioThing. I pushed a few synths through it and I have to say I like it a lot - very useful for spacy Radiophonic type stuff. AudioThing also do a couple of very cool drum machine emulations of the SoundMaster SR88 and Latin Percussion which might have found their way onto the GTK2 Studio computer (!!!) - very retro, sounding quite lovely and certainly not cute toy-like units as their hardware counterparts were oft to be regarded.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



I'm still contemplating the upgrade for Spectrasonics Omnisphere and buying their Trilian bass module. Both are really cool products (I simply could not do without Omnisphere!!!) and I am loving Stylus RMX, but it comes down to the outlay - if anything, Trilian would be the one I would go for first if I go ahead.

The three music projects I have on the go at the moment are progressing slowly. Too slowly. Time has not been in abundance in recent months, but I have come to realise that I simply must make time. I have the studio, I have gear, I have the software and I have the ideas - so I'm now telling myself: "let's make it happen".

And as another day draws to a close, I once again feel that little buzz of achievement through getting things done and making things happen.

Back on track ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)