Monday, 5 June 2017

GTK2 Studio stuff and the like......

A little period of change going on here at GTK Towers, and for the better.

Following a little health issue, I've made some changes to my working life by cutting down on how much I do. Whilst financially I lose out a bit, in real terms of the work/life balance thing I seriously gain. I've had very little time to get cracking on the three music projects I have started and my photographic side has nigh come to a stand-still. I sincerely expect that to all change now.

I've invested a lot in my little GTK2 Studio, I am very fortunate to now have some of the best software that is available on my studio computer and it's really time to get back to making music. Some recent hardware and software purchases have been and will be making a massive difference to workflow and the sound palette.

On the hardware front I've added a couple of very interesting pieces and am selling another. Starting with the latter but leading nicely to the former is that I've decided to sell the M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro. I can't get on with it and it simply doesn't fit into my workflow. It really is a great piece of kit, loads of lights and even more functions and capabilities, but not for me. If I had more hardware synthesizers etc, then it would be ideal, but being 99% in the box means that I'm not getting the use I want from it and I hate seeing gear lying around unused. It's being replaced with Arturia's Spark LE drum machine controller which will connect to the Spark 2 software - that will resolved my rhythm programming side. I also recently purchased the rather fantastic CRAFTsynth by Briatol-based Modal Electronics. For a measly £80 you get a 2 oscillator synth that's as big as a large tub of margarine and sounds as big as a house. I've been blown away by it and you will be hearing on future releases for sure.

I've gone a bit mad on the software front.

No surprise.

Waves Audio have had a massive sale from which I've picked up one or two bits including the Aphex Vintage Exciter (adds some harmonic brightness to the mix) and the S1 Imager (very effective stereo widening plugin). I've also added a new spectrum analyser from MeldaProduction called the MMultiAnalyzer - it's great as it allows me to compare the spectrums of several tracks in one go and shows you where there are frequency collisions - very useful. Found a rather nifty MIDI arpeggiator/sequencer called Cream made by Kirnu Interactive - very handy for those sequenced synth patterns. Another useful piece of programming added to the GTK2 Studio computer is a program called Noatikl made by Intermorphic. It's a generative program meaning that you give it a set of variables from which to work from and then it will generate notes. One of the first iterations of this program was called Koan by a company called SSEYO - it was used to great effect by one of my personal musical influences, Brian Eno (considered to be the godfather of ambient music). It's taking a bit of getting used to, but it has the potential to be a lot of fun. Next up is another analyser-type plugin called Levels by Mastering the Mix. Not had a lot of time with this but I have to say, as someone who does not have a properly acoustically-treated studio, this might just be a big asset. A very nice upgrade has been Audio Damage's Eos to Eos 2 - a far better interface and more options - sounds really nice as well.

On the synth front, I've upgraded the IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik to the version 2CE edition - 64-bit and better resolution sounds. Also upgraded has been my Arturia V Collection 4 to version 5. It's a significant upgrade and sees many parts of the products included completely revamped including the user interfaces. A big improvement and something I'm using regularly now. Upgrades seem to have been the thing of the moment, as Xhun Audio upgraded their Little One synth to version 3 - 64-bit and bigger sounding than ever, I absolutely love this little take on the Moog Little Phatty. Another incredible sounding synth addition is Spectral from LinPlug, with which I also purchased 3 sound packs including one by eminent U.K. synthesist, Ian Boddy - the synth has an amazing sound and Ian's presets are truly something else. And now to the two major upgrades and additions to the studio computer - first of these is the upgrade and finally I now have Omnisphere 2 from Spectrasonics - it is in-credi-ible. Completely lives up to the hype and along with ReFX's Nexus², one of my "go to" synths. The major addition that is with me tomorrow (Tuesday 6th June) is Komplete 11 from Native Instruments - I got an absolutely marvellous deal from Absolute Music in Bournemouth that I simply couldn't possibly refuse and I am very much looking forward to having this powerhouse collection on the GTK2 Studio computer.

My recent health thing required me to have two weeks off work, and I put that time to use by getting my MIDI controllers properly assigned and fully integrated into the Windows 10 DAW system that I use, as well as getting my audio inputs (via my trusty old Mackie 1202 mixer) all sorted and sounding quite lovely.

I am now looking forward to using the newly-found spare time I have to getting back to doing what I love best, making music and taking photos :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)